Saturday, February 14, 2009

Steam Beer update:

The Great Steam beer experiment is still going strong. After almost 3 full weeks in the bottle the beers now have sufficient carbonation, BUT (a BIG BUT) is that during the bottle conditioning period there may have some diacetyl accumulation. With lagers this is somewhat normal, but with mine it seems to be on the excessive side. To minimize this character the beers must now be cold lagered for 3-4 weeks. I'm beginning to learn that I might not have the patience to make lagers. The wheatwine update coming soon.

For the next brew; It will be an ode to my motherland so I will be making an Irish Oatmeal Stout
I am researching and formulating an appropriate recipe and interestingly have found that above 10% oatmeal would lead to gooyness. I'll keep that in mind...

I'll post the recipe in the next few days.

1 comment:

Chemgeek said...

"I'm beginning to learn that I might not have the patience to make lagers."

I hear ya!!! This is the #1 reason I don't make wine. I prefer (maybe 'need' isn't too strong of a word) a 3-4 week turn around.

Good luck with the steam and the oatmeal. And yes, don't go crazy with the oatmeal. No one likes a gooey mash.